Monday, 27 August 2012
Friday, 25 May 2012
We'd love to hear your comments about APLA2012!
Help make APLA the best conference it can be by sending us feedback about this year's sessions and the conference in general.
Sunday, 20 May 2012
Well it's almost here and it’ll soon be time to head out…
To Wolfville for APLA 2012: Discovering Hidden Treasures
We have lavish local food, sensational sessions, keen keynotes, entertaining exhibits and lots more and we can't wait until you get here!
Here are some important updates and details:
1. Parking: parking can be tricky on campuses. We have arranged for two designated lots on campus for all APLA participants. From Main St. in Wolfville turn up Highland Ave. There will be a sandwich board on the corner. Drive all the way up until you see the another sandwich board to direct you into the lot. Cars at unfilled meters or in other lots on campus will be ticketed -- and we don't want that!
2. X marks the spot: use our campus map and look for conference signage and sidewalk chalk directions throughout campus to help you get to your destination quickly!
3. Registration Desk is in Fountain Commons with the Exhibits. Registration Desk Hours are: Tuesday 3-8pm, Wednesday 8-5pm, Thursday 8-4pm. Exhibits are: Wednesday 10am-5pm and Thursday 9am-4pm.
4. If you are staying on campus, you can pick up your room key at the registration desk in the Fountain Commons, but if you arrive at a time when registration isn’t open please contact Residence Life at 585-1221.
5. If staying in residence make sure you bring an internet cable to insure you have internet access from your room. Common areas such as Fountain Commons, Patterson Hall, Wheelock Dining Hall, the KC Irving Centre and, of course the library, all provide free wireless access.
6. Take time to do some sightseeing: Farmers’ Market, downtown merchants, even a new a shoe store (Mahone Bay Shoe Company), new jewelry shops and an awesome old one (Serendipitous and Herbin’s) and our new Pete’s!
7. Enjoy the apple blossoms, lilacs and all the other blooming varieties, but if you have spring allergies, bring your meds.
8. Bring an umbrella, sunglasses, and walking shoes – since it is a campus event and not in a hotel, be prepared for the elements – oh and don’t forget your dancing shoes!
9. Please print your program in advance or download the schedule app to your favorite device and help us be green!
10. The Cash bar is truly a cash bar, no visa or debit. Wolfville has Royal Bank and BMO downtown.
11. Make arrangements for Thursday night dinner: check out the great list of choices.
12. Remember to join us at the historic Acadia Cinema for free popcorn and “Desk Set” on Thursday night. Cash bar opens at 7:30 and you can bring your drink into the theatre.
13. Use the hashtag: #apla2012 to tweet about conference sessions and events.
Tuesday, 15 May 2012
Cate Carlyle of Saint Mary’s University; Patricia Parsons of Central Division Libraries (Gander, NL); and Anita Cannon of Mount Allison University will be presented awards for the Best Elevator Speech at the annual conference in Wolfville!
Jennifer will receive the award at the Merit Award Banquet Wednesday night at APLA2012!
Friday, 11 May 2012
The Alcuin Society’s award winning books for 2011 will be on display in the Vaughan Memorial Library from May 15 until May 25, 2012.
Andrew Steeves of Gaspereau Press has generously provided beautiful custom made bookmarks for all of the delegates!
Monday, 7 May 2012
Join us Tuesday May 22, 2012 from 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm in the Quiet Reading Room of the Library.
Internationally acclaimed artist David Silverberg has generously donated his lifetime collection of fine art books to Acadia University. Please join us for a wine-and-cheese reception as we celebrate and explore this unique gift. All APLA delegates welcome!